Earth Day, April 22 – Memorial Day, May 26
This year, ANS is kicking up the level of competition on our annual Bloomin' Birdathon fundraising event. We're going head-to-head with Irvine Nature Center in a friendly competition we're calling the Battle of the Beltway Birdathons! Help ANS win the Bird's Nest Crown for the greatest number of birds counted. Sign up today!
What's the Birdathon?
Over the course of one month each spring, individuals or teams count as many wildflower or bird species as they can in one 24-hour period. Sponors pledge or donate to ANS based on the numbers counted -- that's the gist of our annual Bloomin Birdathon. Now in its 34th year, this fun event provides an opportunity to raise critical funds for our local conservation and education programs while engaging in an outdoor activity on your own or with colleagues, family, and friends. Read more about the Birdation in the Spring issue of our Naturalist Quarterly.
How Does it Work?
It's easy. Just follow these simple guidelines:
- Count wildflower and/or bird species during any 24-hour period of the Birdathon, Earth Day, April 22 through Memorial Day, May 26, 2014.
- Choose any location you'd like -- sit on your couch and count the visitors to your backyard bird feeder, go for a walk in the park, spend a day at the beach!
- Ask colleagues, family and friends to sponsor your efforts (or just sponsor yourself!) with a per species amount for every bird or wildflower species you count or ask them to make a fixed donation.
- Tell your sponsors all about your adventures!
- Mail in your collected pledges and donations, including your own tax-deductible gift to:
ANS Bloomin' Birdathon
8940 Jones Mill Rd
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
All proceeds directly benefit ANS's environmental education and conservation programs. All donations are tax-deductible.
Ready to Get Started
- Email Antoinette Sooh so we can add your name to this year's list of participants
- Reach out to your sponsors
- Pick a date for your count (any 24-hour period between April 22 and May 26, 2014)
- Pick a location (or a two, three, four, etc.)
- Head out and have a great time while helping out for a great cause!
- Don't forget to send in your dontations.
Are you a Counter?
If you're a counter in this year's Birdathon, find additional resources below to boost your numbers and organize your pledges.
- Don't want to go it alone? Sign up to Join a Team
- Count during our Weekend Bird Walks
- Free Birding Trips
- Sign up for a Fee-Based Trip
- Sponsor sheet
- Birds of Maryland checklist
- Wildflower checklist
Interested in being a sponsor or just want to give?
- We appreciate your support, please feel free to sponsor any of the teams or indivdiuals on our 2014 participant list: List of individuals or teams to sponsor
- Make a donation online
- Make a donation by check:
ANS Bloomin' Birdathon
8940 Jones Mill RdChevy Chase, MD 20815
(please note on the check the person you are sponsoring)
If you have any questions regarding the Bloomin' Birdathon, please email Antoinette Sooh.