Stream Science: Investigating Water Quality
Macroinvertebrate Survey & Stream Habitat Assessment
Students participating in this Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) conduct water quality monitoring of a local stream near their school and produce educational brochures about protecting local water quality. We will work with you to identify a location for a walking field trip and will bring all of the equipment for water chemistry testing and macroinvertebrate identification.
Best for Grades 4, 5
Before Visiting the Stream
At the Stream Study Site
- Stream Science: Stream Habitat Survey Lesson
- Stream Science: Macroinvertebrate Survey
- Aquatic Organism (Macroinvertebrate) Checklist
- Stream Science Worksheet: Elementary Schools
- Stream Science Worksheet: Middle Schools
After Visiting the Stream
- Wrap-Up Lesson: Analysis & Preparing the Brochure
- Stream Science Brochure Template: Macroinvertebrate Survey
- Stream Science Brochure Template: Stream Chemistry & Habitat
- Stream Dreams Poetry & Art Contest 2013-2014
Awesome Amphibians...and a Reptile, too! Arcola Elementary School Reports Their Sightings to the Maryland Amphibian & Reptile Atlas (MARA)
- Read about Arcola students' sensational stream study sightings
- View MARA's slideshow about these animals
Stream Dreams Poetry Contest: Winning Entries!
A very good source of information about stream health and ecology is "Where Rivers are Born: The Scientific Imperative for Defending Small Streams and Wetlands." This publication was sponsored by American Rivers and the Sierra Club.
For watershed information and watershed assessments for specific watersheds in Montgomery County, visit the Montgomery County Maryland Department of Environmental Protection website:
© 2010 Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Photos by James Kegley